Commented University Calendar
Seminar: Literature and Culture
4 Hours seminar
Summer and Winter Semester
Recommended Previous Knowledge:
interest in intercultural dialogue
see German version for the themes aof this term
The seminar 'literature and culture' investigates the possible meaning and scope of what is called European and especially German culture. The study of literary texts entails an encounter with the experiences they mirror and the blueprints for alternatives they might suggest. A hermeneutic approach requires the interpreter’s awareness of his presuppositions – personal as well as cultural – and calls for consideration of their broader context. The dynamics of dialogue is thereby initiated.
A topography of our contemporary world in Germany and Europe is to be sketched by highlighting its historical and cultural premises.
Culture is to be understood as the creative response to a given situation and the capacity to integrate inputs and influences, therefore as an ongoing process of permanent readjustment and learning, and by no means as a fixed identity in terms of an “essence”.
Exhibitions, stage performances, films as well as the organization of conferences and round table discussions aim at realizing the campus' potential as space of cultural encounters.
The contribution of participants from different cultures is encouraged in order to initiate authentic exchanges.
- Knowledge of major texts and works in German language
- Relevant contexts for a hermeneutic approach to texts
- Developments in the history of ideas and culture and its bearings on the world we live in.
- Artistic and especially literary work as fields of interaction with today's challenges and exigencies; comparable endeavours in other disciplines.
- The provisional nature of understanding
- Conditions for an authentic dialogue.
- critical discussion of works relevant to the humanities studies, especially literary texts.
- development of an adequate hermeneutic approach corresponding to the subject dealt with.
- to place the objects of study into larger historical and cultural contexts
- to develop an understanding for the specific approaches of other disciplines
- to pursue the initiated proces of understanding
- to engage in an authentic dialogue
- Fostering dialogue processes with heigthened awarenes of one's own premises in order not to "colonize" the other.
- Implementation and deepening of the acquired skills in further activities and realms of action.
Reclam, Stuttgart 2010
JUDEN AUF WANDERSCHAFT
BEGLEITUMSTÄNDE - Frankfurter Vorlesungen
BERLINER STADTBAHN (veraltet)
in: Berliner Sachen – Aufsätze
VORSCHLÄGE ZUR PRÜFUNG EINES ROMANS
in: Romantheorie. Dokumentation ihrer Geschichte in Deutschland seit 1880; ed. E.Lämmert Köln 1975, S. 398 ff.
IST DIE ZEIT AUS DEN FUGEN?
Aufstieg und Fall des Zeitregimes der Moderne
DIE PROTESTANTISCHE ETHIK UND DER GEIST DES KAPITALISMUS
DIE UTOPIE DES FORTSCHRITTS
New York 1992
120 hours total
Credit points of this module can be found in the course plan for the corresponding course of study.